Places of interest > Kupiškis region

kupiskis_herbas.jpg (3331 bytes)

Kupiškis district places of interes

kupiskio_turizmo.jpg (3625 bytes)

Kupiškio r. turizmo ir verslo informacijos centras
Gedimino str. 34-5, 40130 Kupiškis
Tel./fax +370 459 52505, +370 459 35603,

kupiskis2.jpg (63683 bytes)
 Sculpture “Shepherd”,
the author of the sculpture – H. Orakauskas

Kupiškis Christ Church of the Ascension
Wood sculpture composition “The wedding of Kupiškis residents”, the author of the sculpture – H. Orakauskas

Territory: 108 thousand ha, 58.89 % of them are covered by agriculture areas, 25.37 % by forests, 2.4 % by water, 2.31 % by cities and villages, 1.76 % by industrial companies and roads, 9.27 % by the areas of other purpose. The area of Kupiškis city is 6425641 square meters.
Number of residents in the beginning of 2011: 21692 residents in the territory of Kupiškis district municipality, 7833 of them live in Kupiškis city. The district includes: 6 rural districts, 16 village posts and agencies, 1 Kupiškis district post, 20 educational agencies (2 gymnasium, 2 secondary schools, 9 elemental schools, 1 primary school, 4 preschool educational agencies and 2 nonformal educational agencies (music school, physical culture and sport center)), 1 technological and business school, 37 culture agencies, 11 catholic churches, 5 museums, 18 libraries, 39 architectural monuments, 26 history monuments, 21 archeological monument, 22 medical treatment agencies.
“…Uvožokit jūs mono žodėlį…” – meaningfully sing the residents of Kupiškis city. This folk poetic thought shows the maximum respect to historical experience, homestead creation traditions and says: we want to communicate, want to rub shoulders, really have to say something, want to noise the song – you just listen!..

kupiskis1.jpg (77010 bytes)
“The tree of Aistian world (life)”, the author of the sculpture – H. Orakauskas Kupiškio Kristaus Žengimo į dangų bažnyčia                         

• We offer to begin the knowledge with Kupiškis land starting from Kupiškis city. Kupiškis – little but individual and cozy North-East Lithuanian town, the center of the administration of district municipality and culture. The town had obtained its name from Kupos river and is established above the junction of this river and Lėvens river. In historical sources - as the town of Lithuanian King Žygimantas the Old – Kupiškis first was mentioned in 1529.
Kupiškis ethnographic museum, established in old (1823) stonework building of the school established by Čartoriskiai. There we are keeping the wealth of material and spiritual culture cumulated by various generations.
The expositions of ethnography and folk art are waiting for you in the museum and the halls of exhibitions include constantly organized exhibitions of art, folk art artists and student’s creation works.
Kupiškis city (Aukštupėnai) mound and Kupiškis Sea. Down high hill of the mound the panorama of Kupiškis and its surroundings overlooks. Kupiškis mound — the earliest nodus of the city. In 1984 after the banking of Lėvens River 828 ha Kupiškis Sea had formed – favorite relaxation place of Kupiškis residents and its guests including annual fishermen competitions, various festivals, and regatta.
“The tongue of Mother-in-law” (“Uošvės liežuvis”)
Lėvens pond is impressive not only by its size but also by the landscape. An impressive island is located near Kupiškis, at the main Akštupėnai resort. It is called "The tongue of Mother-in-law” for its unusual shape. The island can be entered through the bridge after the arriving to Pajuodupė village. Other island is in Bagdoniai village. Kupiškis sea regatta and ice-fishing competition call together not only the audience but also the participants every year. Already become a tradition that an open Lithuanian triathlon championship is organized at Lėvens pond also.
Kupiškis Christ Church of the Ascension.
Kupiškis church is a real giant. Where never you arrive from to Kupiškis city at first you could get an eyeful of proudly standing church from red bricks and climbing to heaven by 21 crosses. The church is of neo-gothic style and is one of the biggest churches in North-East Lithuania.
In the house-museum of the originator of Lithuanian forestry sciences professor Povilas Matulionis you will familiarize with his lifetime, scientific and social activity.
• After visiting the square of Laurynas Stuoka-Gucevičius you will see the monument for the architect Laurynas Stuoka-Gucevičius (the sculptor of the monument – Vaclovas Krutinis) that was born in Kupiškis land and earned unforgettable honor for Vilnius Cathedral. In 2001 the sculpture “Setting angel” of an artist and resident of Kupiškis Henrikas Orakauskas was uncovered. A little bit further you will see the group of wooden sculptures “The weddings of Kupiškis residents” created by the same artist and reminding us folklore collective “The old weddings of Kupiškis residents” being very popular for several decades.
• You should be engaged in the square of General Jonas Černius appointed in 1998. The main focus of it is sculptural granite composition with the bust of General Jonas Černius created by the sculptor Vaclovas Krutinis.
• In order to be familiarized with Kupiškis land you should visit Noriūnai estate established inshore of Lėvens river and being mentioned in historical sources already since 1665. This estate had belonged to Lithuanian grandees such as Tiškevičiai, Tyzenhauzai, Oginskiai and Komarai. The palace was built by H. Venclovavičius. The details of classicism and mannerism are typical for unusual plan of T shape architecture of the palace in Lithuania. Although the remained neo-renaissance mansion-house with Empire décor is junior by a long way – it was built in XIX century by local craftsmen. Two dolomite towers characterize by their originality and provide the features of romanticism for the ensemble. In the park of 10 hectares surrounding the estate grows uncommon introductory trees. The ensemble of Palėvenė St. Dominic church and Dominican monastery is situated on the right bank of Lėvens River. This is the most prominent land building of sacral architecture. Also this is one of the most authentic ensembles of baroques architecture in Lithuania remaining till our days. Palėvenė church its history counts since 1676. The interior of the church includes gorgeous altars of late baroque style and appointed in XVIII century, the pulpit of uncommon shape, lodges decorated with the blazons of the church’s and monastery’s founders.
Komarai estate in Paulianka.
The noblemen Komarai had migrated to Lithuania from Padniestrė around 1481. The posterity of Mykolas Komaras established in Palėvenė in 1645 had lived in Paulianka till World War II. Currently the buildings of the palace built in XIX century are submitted to the posterity of Komarai family.
Terpeikiai oak.
5 kilometers away from Subačius to North-East an old Terpeikiai village is located. This village in historical sources is being mentioned since 1596. In the homestead of Jonas Jėčius grows an oak of the diameter of two meters – the monument of the nature.

• Adomas Petrauskas museum.

Uoginiai village is famous for unique museum that was established by a native agriculturalist Adomas Petrauskas in his own homestead in 1969. The museum includes expositions of domestic items, printings, folk sculptures, stands with photographs and biographies of well-known people. The environment of the museum is decorated by the collection of gathered field stones of impressive size and shapes and by millstones. There green trees and bushes that were brought from the forest and planted by A. Petrauskas himself.
Picture gallery of artist V. Šleivytė.
Creative dower of V. Šleivytė is over 100 pieces of graphic sheets and several thousands of painting works performed by pastel technique (mostly still-life works). Enormous creative heritage of artist V. Šleivytė is scattered throughout all Lithuania but the most important one is cumulated in her native land. The homestead of artist’s parents Jonas and Barbora Šleiviai that is sheltered in the shade of centuries-old lindens include reproduced authentic domestic life of formerly lived multi-child family.
Uoginiai village chapel.
In Uoginiai village cemetery wooden chapel named for Mary Magdalene shows white. It was built in 1716. The priest and poet A. Strazdas that was dwelled in Uoginiai in 1802 had celebrated Mass in this chapel.

kupiskis3.jpg (59859 bytes)
“The tongue of Mother-in-law” (“Uošvės liežuvis”)

• J. and T. Skardžiai homestead and stone “Devil’s footprint”.

Gyvakarai village is scattered near the highway from Salamiestis to Kupiškis. The village includes remained street of antiques village and valuable monuments of antique wooden architecture — J. and T. Skardžiai residential house and barn that were built in 1891. The stone named Devil’s footprint overlooks here. According to fairy stories witches from surroundings had gathered together at this stone.
Salamiestis Evangelical and Reformed Church.
Salamiestis estate of XVI century belonged to Lithuanian grandees’ family Radvilos that had followed Calvin teaching had become the first focus of evangelist reformers in Kupiškis land. In Salamiestis they had pitched their own meeting-house in 1583 and had established parochial Lithuanian school in 1595. This school is the oldest one in this district.
Salamiestis Tiškevičiai estate.
Classicistic palace of Salamiestis estate was built in III decade of XIX century, outhouse – around 1850. Windmill is laid of stones. The estate was governed by Tiškevičiai.

• Adomynė estate.

Manor house was built in the beginning of XIX century — this is a unique example of wooden architecture. Previously this country was called Aluotėliai and belonged to grandees Plateriai. Manor house is recently restored.
Šimonys Church of Taking Holy Mary into the Heaven.
The poet Antanas Strazdas had performed his ministry awhile in this wooden church built in 1920. The great altar includes the copy of the picture of Vilnius Gate of Down Chapel of Holy Mary. It is believed that Holy Mary had appeared in Šimonys in 1941. Feast day of The Assumption takes place in Šimonys annually.
Cognitive path in Šimonys forest.
Cognitive path “To the forest” is appointed over 4 kilometers from the margin of the forest (arriving from Šimonys town). While traveling through cognitive path the visitors can not only enjoy natural imagery of nature but also to familiarize with the sorts of the trees dominating in Šimonys forest and to read their informational description at the stands.

• We offer to start the knowledge of Skapiškis land with Kereliai mound. The museum of Juozas Matulis – the professor, academician of Lithuanian Academy of Sciences, director of chemistry and chemical technology institute, had opened the door for the visitors in 1999. The museum is established in his native land in Naiviai village. In Dailiūnai village situated near Skapiškis you will clap eyes on the modest but probably the only one in Lithuania sacral architecture monument of such purpose – baroque Skapiškis abstinence chapel of triangular plan (it was rebuilt in 1990). This is the monument for the movement pronounced by Motiejus Valančius. Also there is St. Hyacinth (Jackus) church built in 1819–1826 by the fund of Dominicans and having classicistic features. The Bishop Motiejus Valančius had consecrated in 1858. In Laukminiškiai village you can visit the home of actress’s Unė Babickaitė parents. Memorial stone for book smuggler K. Gabriūnas created by architect Ž. Simonaitis was uncovered near the homestead in 1999.

• The museum of Glemžai family.

The museum was established in Alizava recreation centre in 1998. It includes the drawing-room of Glemžai family. There you can take a look at domestic-ethnographical exhibits of the end of XIX century and the beginning of XX century, to familiarize with the stories of Glemžai family.

• Cafe "Janta“
Aleksandrija village, Kupiškis district, tel. + 370 459 35445, mob. + 370 687 53278
• Pizzeria "Savana“
Vytauto str. 4, Kupiškis, tel. + 370 459 51111
• Cafe "Merkurijus“
L. Stuokos-Gucevičiaus sq. 5, Kupiškis, tel. + 370 459 35097, mob. + 370 686 44589
• Cafe "Pasimatymas“
Gedimino str. 15, Kupiškis, tel. + 370 611 30261
• Cafe "Saulės paukštė“
Vytauto str. 2, Kupiškis, tel. + 370 459 35084

• Motel "Janta“**
Aleksandrija village, Kupiškis district, tel. + 370 459 35445, mob. + 370 612 22174
• Kupiškis Technological and Business School "Hotel“**
Jaunimo str. 8, Kupiškis, tel. + 370 459 35412, mob. + 370 662 27687
• Guest house "Grenlita“
L. Stuokos-Gucevičiaus sq. 6, Kupiškis, tel. + 370 601 44606, mob. + 370 652 01133

• "Pakalne Homestead“
Skverbai village,Kupiškis district, tel. +370 620 13777
• "Puozas Guest house“
Puožas village, Kupiškis district., tel. + 370 459 42708, mob. + 370 618 85630
• "Traditional Rural Tourism Homestead“
Drūlėnai village, Kupiškis district, mob. + 370 652 67377
• "Obonys Homestead“
Oboniai village, Kupiškis district., mob. + 370 644 42999,

• Kupiskis Etnographic Museum
Gedimino str. 2, Kupiškis, tel. + 370 459 35 439
• V. Sleivyte Picture Gallery
Viktariškiai village, Kupiškis district, tel. + 370 459 46439, mob. + 370 617 75220
• A. Petrauskas museum
Uoginiai village, Kupiškis district, mob. + 370 610 01465
• Laukminiškių muziejus
Laukminiškiai village, Kupiškis district, mob. + 370 612 56966
• Proffesor P. Matulionis Museum
P. Matulionio str. 18, Kupiškis, tel. + 370 459 54422
• Open-air Museum
Small architecture (H. Orakauskas sculpture)

Kontaktai: 8 613 87583, el. p.
UAB "We deliver" neatsako už reklamos užsakovų paskelbtos informacijos turinį ir grafinę medžiagą