Places of interest > Šalčininkai region

salcininkai_herbas.jpg (3487 bytes)

Šalčininkai district places of interest

Administration of Šalčininkai district municipality
Vilniaus g. 49, LT-17116 Šalčininkai
Tel. +370 380 51332,

salcininkai1.jpg (56728 bytes)

Šalčininkai district exists in picturesquely southeast part of Lithuania. This is the land where the Polish compose the majority so ethnographic culture of the district differs from the neighboring territories. 79 percent of district residents are Polish people, 9.4 percent – Lithuanians, 5.8 percent – Russians, 3.8 percent – Byelorussians, 1.4 percent – of other nationality.
It is worth to come here for many reasons. Beautiful churches and estates, mythological stones and mounds waved by the legends, unique buildings of old villages and lovely landscapes – all this can be seen by the tourists traveling through Šalčininkai district.
Here you will be met by good and laborious people cherishing old traditions and also who are open for innovations.
Šalčininkai land will fulfill the suspense of those who will search the peace in the envelopment of nature and of those who wants to step forth the step to the world of business and realize studies.

salcininkai2.jpg (73589 bytes)

• Šalčininkai

The centre of the district – Šalčininkai are at 45 km from Vilnius, at Vilniaus-Lydos highway. 7000 residents live here. Since 1998 the municipality of Šalčininkai is being decorated by the monument for Adomas Mickevičius. After the year at recreational centre of Šalčininkai the monument was set for one of the commanders of 1863 rebellion – Konstantinas Kalinauskas.
Vagneriai palace in written sources is mentioned since XIV century. They are one of the most beautiful estates in Vilnius land. The estate was governed by Hlebovičiai, grandees Chodkevičiai. The last governors of the estate – graphs Vagneriai.
In 1880 Vitoldas Vagneris had built neo-classicistic mansion-house where currently S. Moniuška art school is established.
On the edge of the city, at the road guiding to Vilnius masonry chapel of the authorship of Laurynas Stuoka-Gucevičius flaunts. It was built in XVIII century.
In XV–XVIII century Jašiūnai had belonged to at that date one of the most powerful and richest grandee’s families – Radvilos. Jašiūnai estate was bought by Ignotas Balinskis in 1811. After his death the estate had come to his junior sun Mykolas Balinskis. After in 1820 he had married the eldest daughter of Vilnius university professor chemist Andrius Sniadeckis – Sofija Sniadecka, Sniadeckiai family had dwelled in Jašiūnai. On J. Sniadeckis initiative and finance in 1824–1828 in accordance to the project of Vilnius university architecture professor Karolis Podčašinskis gorgeous palace of late classicism style was built.
Jašiūnai was important cultural centre of last century. A lot of famous people had lived and visited this place: Tomaš Zan, Antonis Edvardas Odinecas, Juzefas Miankovskis, priest Stanislovas Bonifacas Jundzilas, bishop Laurynas Puttkamer, priest Povilas Bžostovskis, Julijus Slovackis.
Pavlovas Republic
Near the road Jašiūnai–Turgeliai there is famous Pavlovas Republic made out in 1767–1791 and that was established by Povilas Bžostovskis. In 1767 m. he had bought Merkinė estate and surrounding lands and after two year he had published lot of reforms: he had abolished pays in the dominions, distributed the land to the peasants and introduced expiatory charge. Pavlovas Republic had included the area of 3 thousands hectares, had its own Constitution, blazon, money, parliament, treasury, benefit-society, police, doctor, school. This Republic had survived for almost 30 years. Only the walls of formal magnificent two-storey palace and rubble of other three other buildings had remained till today.

salcininkai3.jpg (67774 bytes)
Tabariškės Norviliškės

St. Archangel Michael church is the oldest church the district. Famous artist Ana Krepštul had lived in small house existed on the edge of the village that had painted more than 3.5 thousand pictures. Her works were displayed in various expositions, the museums; they are acquired by private collectors and churches. The pictures of Ana Krepštul are mostly protected in private collections and churches.
Rūdninkai and Rūdninkai forest
Rūdninkai is the villages established at the right bank of Merkys, in Rūdninkai forest. This is historical but not well-known place because no historical traces remained.
1/6 territory of Šalčininkai district is taken by Rūdninkai forest having the area of 26000 hectares. In XV–XVII century the forest was well-liked hunting place of the dukes. In 1470 Kazimieras Jogailaitis had built hunting estate in Rūdninkai forest. In May of 1554 in one of the rooms of this estate Žygimantas Augustas had laid the body of his second wife Barbora Radvilaitė waiting when during the transportation from Cracow to Vilnius the place for burying will be appointed in Vilnius Cathedral.
Biotop complex of Rūdninkai forest is one of the most valuable territories of the district.
Dieveniškės and Dieveniškės Regional Park
Dieveniškės is typical village example of old Lithuanian lands that southeast places of the Republic of Lithuania and neighboring Belorussian places are ascribable to. The most important elements of Dieveniškės urban monument – square park involving five historical roads. They had connected the town with Vilnius, Ašmena, Trobos (Subatninkai), Geranainimis, Šalčininkai. Important historical monument – Rosary Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary that was built in
1907. Masonry belfry of 21 meters height was built in 1903 facing the church. It includes almost 200 year old bells. Dieveniškės historical Regional Park extends Gauja onshore. Its area – 108 km2. One of the most interesting villages of Dieveniškės surroundings – Žižmai. This street striped village – architectural monument of local meaning. 8 homesteads are marked with memorial plaques. These homesteads include 28 buildings of the end of XIX century and the firs half of XX century.
In XVI century Norviliškės economic and administrative complex had belonged to Vaitiekus and Dorota Šorcai and in 1617 junior widow had alienated the buildings to Franciscan little brothers order. In the beginning of XVII century the monastery had be built here and eight monks had dwelled. Unfortunately the monastery had get into the list of closing ones and the barracks of tsar’s soldiers were appointed. In 1900 – 1915 the students of Agricultural school had lived there. In 1918 the monastery and belfry were fitted for the presbytery and in 1928 modern church was built. Now Norviliškės castle is well-known tourist complex.
The name of the city is associated with the name of historical person nobleman Eišis (Eikšis) (he was one of the generals of fabulous duke Erdvilas). The first Catholic Church had towered here in 1398, immediately after christening of Lithuanian by the order of Vytautas the Great. Eišiškės grave place reminds this period. The residues of the ditches and embankments effectively look nowadays also. In 1678 the king Jonas Sobieskis had provided the rights of Magdeburgas for Eišiškės. Eišiškės had developed as multinational town. Since the year Polish people, Lithuanians, Russians, Byelorussians, gypsies and Jewry had lived here. It is worth to visit Eišiškės church built in 1847–1852 in accordance to the project of engineer Teodoras Narbutas. Eišiškės includes Jewish cemetery.
At 3 km from Eišiškės Gornostajiškės village exists where Sekluckiai estate can be seen. In 1986 the monument for the originator of Lithuania writing Stanislavas Rapolionis native from the surroundings of Eišiškės had towered facing the house of the estate.

Kontaktai: 8 613 87583, el. p.
UAB "We deliver" neatsako už reklamos užsakovų paskelbtos informacijos turinį ir grafinę medžiagą